Monday, December 5, 2011

Star Wreath with felt flowers



I had a strong call from the universe telling me that I needed to try and craft a wreath for Christmas.  The only problem is that I have been passed on an aversion to round wreaths from my family, from whom they are reminded of funerals every time they see a round wreath.  So we never had them at home growing up.  I was also strongly advised never to give my mum Chrysanthemums for Mothers Day, which are the flower of choice here in Australia as they're plentiful at that time of year.  I was told that in Italy it's a flower commonly used at funerals and I wasn't to be giving flowers of "death" to people.  It's funny how these things stick with you.  So now I would never dream of gifting a bunch of Chrysanthemums and I would never have a round wreath in the house.

So - what's a girl to do???  I headed to my local Spotlight store to see what else they had.  A foam star was calling my name.

It was a damn tricky shape to cover as the points of the star didn't really cover easily.  Plenty of hot glue later and I had it covered in fabric strips.  Being that I've placed myself on a "nothing new" ban for crafting, and already broke my own rule by buying the star, I had to work with the fabric I had on hand.  It took far more fabric that you'd think, so I used one that I had a large supply of.

Then to embellish it I taught myself how to make felt flowers and hot glued them on.  Finished.  I was so proud of my crafty skills, that I showed hubby.... only to be told that it's far too shabby chic for our house and what on earth are those colours???  Well, I had to match the flowers to the fabric, and one thing lead to another....

So my star sits on a shelf in my craft room waiting for me to find something to do with it.  Damn universe.  Now I have another thing that is going to clutter my world.  Grrrr....

No comments:

Post a Comment